Women are safer without abortion
€50 helps us to spread this powerful message
The Irish experience - and the scientific evidence - tells us that women are safest where abortion is not provided as an answer to a crisis pregnancy. An abortion Bill brought before the Dáil (Parliament) falsely claimed that abortion was beneficial to women.
Our SAFER WITHOUT ABORTION campaign gathered women from throughout Ireland to send a powerful message.
We send letters to every elected representative and Senator explaining that women are safer without abortion.
Then we held colourful, high-profile public events attended by hundreds of women calling on politicians to defend the right to life of unborn children during the debate on the abortion Bill.
In the debate that followed we were glad to see that many politicians had heard and understood our message. The abortion Bill was defeated.
Irish women are speaking out for Life! And we say we're safer without abortion.
The evidence :
- The United Nations/WHO report on maternal mortality shows that Ireland, without recourse to abortion, is the safest place in the world for a mother to have a baby. (1)
- Contrary to assertions by abortion campaigners, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in Ireland have stated that abortion is never medically necessary. (2)
- The abortion industry exploits women for profit - a recent report of the near death of an Irish woman in a British abortion clinic is just one instance where women's lives are put in danger by the abortion industry. (3) Official investigations by the British Department of Health last month found that significant numbers of abortion clinics - up to 20% - were acting illegally, and that their offences included failing to counsel women and having doctors pre-signing consent forms. (4)
- A growing body of evidence shows that abortion produces negative mental outcomes for women. Research carried out by Dr David Fergusson and published in the British Journal of Psychiatry found that women who had had abortions had rates of mental disorder that were about 30% higher. (5)
We're safer without abortion - and we want Ireland to continue providing better solutions for mothers and babies.
- http://www.constitution.ie/reports/5th-Report-Abortion.pdf and http://www.youthdefence.ie/campaigns/set-the-record-straight/
- Niamh Uí Bhriain debated the Bill with Bill Tormley of Fine Gael on Newstalk. You can listen to it here http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/61887/?uniqueID=86053
- She also debated Joan Collins of the Socialist Party on LMFM (podcast) and Limerick 95 FM - you can listen to that here or in our jukebox
- Niamh debates with Ciara Conway of the Labour Party on TodayFM's Last Word with Matt Cooper Listen to it here: http://media.todayfm.com/listenback/98/friday/2/?uniqueID=3240401
- Niamh Uí Bhriain told the New York Times that the Bill had no public support - see the report here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/world/europe/ireland-takes-up-bill-on-abortion-access.html?_r=1&ref=europe
- Niamh Uí Bhriain disscuss the bill on Cork's LIFE FM. You can hear the interview here or in our jukebox
- Our pro-life activists joined the debate in several radio programmes - including the Joan Lea show on 98FM: http://media.98fm.com/listenback/360/tuesday/1/
- Íde Nic Mhathúna spoke up for mothers and babies on Spin FM
- Niamh was on LifeFM, OceanFM, SpiritFM, DublinCity FM
- Dr Eoghan de Faoite spoke on TV3 opposing the Bill and pointing out that what it's proponents actually sought was abortion on demand. See the interview here: http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/184/47622/0/Ireland-AM
- Niamh Uí Bhriain with Eileen Dunne on RTE 1's God Slot. Listen to it after the news here
- 9 minutes in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGSXR_DMNCY
- Abortion issue flares up ahead of Dáil debate: Daily Mail
- See Photos of the Women speak out protest